How do I know if we’re ready to consider a therapeutic boarding school? What are the signs your difficult teen needs help?
Since 2020 teen depression and anxiety rates have doubled. We are facing a teenage mental health crisis. Many parents are extremely concerned today about their teen’s today. More families are now searching for help for troubled teens.
- Underachieving, failing
- Skipping classes, school refusal
- Anger, defiance or rage (explosive)
- Disrespectful, (especially to parents), breaks curfew and family rules
- Video game addiction, porn use, internet addiction
- Depression, ADD, ADHD, ODD, anxiety
- Poor social skills, low self-worth
- Entitled attitude
- Drug use, drinking, vaping
- Self-harm, suicide ideation
- Running away, sneaking out
- Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)
- Family conflict, withdrawing from family
- Dropping out of their favorite activities (sports, dance, cheerleading)
- Shoplifting, stealing (usually from parents) – legal issues
Have you tried these things to help:
- Switching schools, moving
- School counselors, therapists
- Taking away technology, removing cell-phones
- Mentors, teen coaches
- Short-term in-patient or outpatient services
- Living with a relative
Residential therapy can be extremely beneficial where local resources have failed. Removing your teen from the influences of negative peer groups or sometimes even family conflict can help them reflect more on what is creating their negative behavior.
These programs (therapeutic boarding schools/residential treatment centers) continue with your teen’s education, have therapists to work on your teen’s emotional wellbeing to help them develop coping and communication skills as well as building motivation and setting goals for their (now) bright future.
This is a major emotional and financial decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly. It’s why we help educate parents on schools and programs that would right fit their individual teen’s needs. We know how confusing the internet can be — and you don’t want to make a rash decision while you’re in crisis.
Contact us today for a free consultation – we help you find safe and quality therapeutic boarding schools for your teen and family.